After watching “Tapped”, I went to the Nestle Water website and started reading.  I found myself either laughing or frustrated at some of the things they promised.

This is found under the section “Local Water Management”:

“We are committed to respecting the interests of our neighbours and the communities where we do business. We also believe it is important to work with all the groups involved to obtain the best results possible in protecting water resources, watersheds and land.”

I guess they consider pumping so much water out of these communities and leaving them with shortages is respecting their interests.  According to the corporation, the beavers are building dams that are causing the water shortage.

This is found under the “Bottle and Packaging” section:

“Like many beverages that are sold commercially, our bottles are primarily made of PET plastic. PET plastic is a 100% recyclable material.”

They neglect to mention that the bottles are made from crude oil and are dangerous to human health when reused.  They contain Bisphenol A, carcinogens and other chemicals that cause obesity, cancer, diabetes and low sperm count.  Under the recycling section, they do say that one of their core responsiblities is to promote recycling. I think that a more effective way of advertising this would be to include facts like, in some parts of the ocean there is 46 times more plastic than plankton.  That statistic really makes you think.  They don’t include this on their website because that would be bad advertising, but if they wanted to get the point across, then they should include things like that.

Throughout the website they kept comparing themselves to other business or uses of water  that are either leaving a bigger ecological footprint or damaging the environment in other ways.  I personally think they should stop worrying about other business and focus on telling the truth about their products.

I must admit that I was clueless about the “truths” of water mining.  “Tapped” is a great documentary that reveals what is really going on.  It’s hard to believe that 40% of bottled water is actually tap water.  I still use bottled water because sometimes its just more convenient, but I really have tried to cut back.  I have a nalgene bottle that I try to carry around and refill at water fountains. I’m anxious to see if “Tapped” will affected Nestle Water Company when the movie becomes available to the public.

Sources: http://www.nestle-waters.com/